Two of Hollywood's leading radicals are daring to reinvent one of the oldest genres in the movie industry's style book
The western movie is perhaps the most beloved all-American art form and one of the oldest genres in cinema. Now it is to get a post-modernist makeover in the shape of films from some of Hollywood's most daringly experimental celebrities, seeking to turn long-standing conventions and themes on their heads.
In a genre where new films are relatively rare, several major westerns are on the horizon, but they appear to be far from the traditional fare of melancholy visions of the dying frontier or heroic tales of rough-edged cowboys, lantern-jawed sheriffs and outlaws on the run.
First up is iconoclastic director Quentin Tarantino, who last week released the first trailer for his latest film, Django Unchained. The movie, which features Jamie Foxx is full of familiar western signatures – a revenge-driven plot, »
- Paul Harris
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- 10 Celebrity Guys Who've Dealt With Their Own #Penisgate (From Popsugar. 9 October 2015, 4:35 PM, PDT)
- Arrow's Killer Mystery: Why Felicity, Diggle, Oliver's Kid or Any of 8 Others Will (and Won't) Be the One to Die (From TVLine.com. 9 October 2015, 11:57 AM, PDT)
- Paramount Movies To Be Distributed By Toho-Towa In Japan Under New Entity (From Deadline. 8 October 2015, 4:50 AM, PDT)
- How Emma Roberts Went From Cute Kid to Small-Screen Queen (From Popsugar. 9 October 2015, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- CNN Reporter Impersonates Hunter S. Thompson to Interview O’Malley For Some Reason (From Mediaite - TV. 9 October 2015, 9:21 AM, PDT)
- 'Black Mass': How Johnny Depp's character was unmasked' (From Gold Derby. 8 October 2015, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan issues warning over the future of cinema (From ScreenDaily. 10 October 2015, 12:22 PM, PDT)
- Saddle Up With New Images From Natalie Portman Western 'Jane Got A Gun' (From The Playlist. 9 October 2015, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- The Coen Brothers’ Hail, Caesar! Gets A Trailer (From TheMovieBit. 9 October 2015, 8:46 AM, PDT)