Two of Hollywood's leading radicals are daring to reinvent one of the oldest genres in the movie industry's style book
The western movie is perhaps the most beloved all-American art form and one of the oldest genres in cinema. Now it is to get a post-modernist makeover in the shape of films from some of Hollywood's most daringly experimental celebrities, seeking to turn long-standing conventions and themes on their heads.
In a genre where new films are relatively rare, several major westerns are on the horizon, but they appear to be far from the traditional fare of melancholy visions of the dying frontier or heroic tales of rough-edged cowboys, lantern-jawed sheriffs and outlaws on the run.
First up is iconoclastic director Quentin Tarantino, who last week released the first trailer for his latest film, Django Unchained. The movie, which features Jamie Foxx is full of familiar western signatures – a revenge-driven plot, »
- Paul Harris
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- Netflix Picks Up Drama Series ‘The Oa’ From Brit Marling, Zal Batmanglij (From Tubefilter News. 5 March 2015, 2:50 PM, PST)
- 45 Famous, Sexy Silver Foxes (From Popsugar. 5 March 2015, 12:55 PM, PST)
- Hulu Sets April 20 Release Date For ‘Deadbeat’ Season Two (From Tubefilter News. 5 March 2015, 12:21 PM, PST)
- 9 actors who have left Downton Abbey for better... or worse (From Digital Spy - TV news. 5 March 2015, 12:00 PM, PST)
- America Has Spoken: George Clooney Is the Most Stylish Man of All Time! (From Entertainment Tonight. 2 March 2015, 8:20 PM, PST)
- Race and Superhero Movies: Are minorities stealing white superhero roles? (From Flickeringmyth. 2 March 2015, 2:10 PM, PST)
- 'Happy Gilmore' Reunion Video: Adam Sandler & Bob Barker Fight Again! (From MovieWeb. 5 March 2015, 8:01 AM, PST)
- Interview: Kristyn Jo Benedyk, Matt Irvine of DePaul University School of Cinematic Arts (From HollywoodChicago.com. 3 March 2015, 3:42 PM, PST)
- Robert Rodriguez's New 'Director's Chair' Discussion with Coppola (From FirstShowing.net. 3 March 2015, 10:51 AM, PST)