Two of Hollywood's leading radicals are daring to reinvent one of the oldest genres in the movie industry's style book
The western movie is perhaps the most beloved all-American art form and one of the oldest genres in cinema. Now it is to get a post-modernist makeover in the shape of films from some of Hollywood's most daringly experimental celebrities, seeking to turn long-standing conventions and themes on their heads.
In a genre where new films are relatively rare, several major westerns are on the horizon, but they appear to be far from the traditional fare of melancholy visions of the dying frontier or heroic tales of rough-edged cowboys, lantern-jawed sheriffs and outlaws on the run.
First up is iconoclastic director Quentin Tarantino, who last week released the first trailer for his latest film, Django Unchained. The movie, which features Jamie Foxx is full of familiar western signatures – a revenge-driven plot, »
- Paul Harris
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- Brad Pitt Auditioned For A Role On ‘Cheers’ — But Didn’t Get It Because He Was ‘Not Funny’ (From ET Canada. 25 May 2017, 5:47 PM, PDT)
- Brad Pitt Says He Can ‘Compartmentalize’ Private And Public Life, Talks Surviving ‘Mistakes’ (From ET Canada. 25 May 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Brad Pitt to Shah Rukh Khan: "I Would Never Make It in Bollywood" (From E! Online. 25 May 2017, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- Win Blow on Blu-ray (From HeyUGuys. 26 May 2017, 2:44 AM, PDT)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge (Dead Men Tell No Tales) Movie Review (From Film Companion. 26 May 2017, 2:28 AM, PDT)
- Second Opinion – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) (From Flickeringmyth. 26 May 2017, 2:05 AM, PDT)
- Diane Kruger: ‘I’ve Never Been Paid as Much as a Male Costar in the U.S.’ (From Variety - Film News. 24 May 2017, 9:07 AM, PDT)
- Sofia Coppola’s ‘The Beguiled’ Wows Cannes While Nicole Kidman Calls Out Lack of Female Directors (From Thompson on Hollywood. 24 May 2017, 4:36 AM, PDT)
- Sofia Coppola’s ‘The Beguiled’ Wows Cannes While Nicole Kidman Calls Out Lack of Female Directors (From Indiewire. 24 May 2017, 4:36 AM, PDT)