Two of Hollywood's leading radicals are daring to reinvent one of the oldest genres in the movie industry's style book
The western movie is perhaps the most beloved all-American art form and one of the oldest genres in cinema. Now it is to get a post-modernist makeover in the shape of films from some of Hollywood's most daringly experimental celebrities, seeking to turn long-standing conventions and themes on their heads.
In a genre where new films are relatively rare, several major westerns are on the horizon, but they appear to be far from the traditional fare of melancholy visions of the dying frontier or heroic tales of rough-edged cowboys, lantern-jawed sheriffs and outlaws on the run.
First up is iconoclastic director Quentin Tarantino, who last week released the first trailer for his latest film, Django Unchained. The movie, which features Jamie Foxx is full of familiar western signatures – a revenge-driven plot, »
- Paul Harris
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- ‘Fury’ Director Tapped For ‘Suicide Squad’ Movie! (From The Hollywood News. 29 September 2014, 10:26 PM, PDT)
- Angelina Jolie's Husband Brad Pitt Gives Troubled Actor Shia Labeouf Some Props (From National Ledger. 29 September 2014, 5:04 PM, PDT)
- Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck Missed George Clooney's Wedding For the Same Reason—Get the Details! (From E! Online. 29 September 2014, 4:14 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Smith Secures Financing for Clerks III (From GeekTyrant. 29 September 2014, 4:16 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Smith says you can thank 'Tusk' for 'Clerks 3' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 29 September 2014, 2:16 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Smith Gets 'Clerks 3' Funded Thanks to 'Tusk' (From MovieWeb. 29 September 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- Netflix, Weinstein Co. Bust Windows With ‘Crouching Tiger’ Sequel Day-and-Date Release (From Variety - Film News. 29 September 2014, 6:03 PM, PDT)
- Netflix Sets ‘Crouching Tiger 2′ As 1st Feature; Hollywood’s Nightmare? (From Deadline New York. 29 September 2014, 6:01 PM, PDT)
- Quentin Tarantino’s First Wave of New Beverly Programming Announced [Updated] (From Slash Film. 29 September 2014, 3:15 PM, PDT)