Two of Hollywood's leading radicals are daring to reinvent one of the oldest genres in the movie industry's style book
The western movie is perhaps the most beloved all-American art form and one of the oldest genres in cinema. Now it is to get a post-modernist makeover in the shape of films from some of Hollywood's most daringly experimental celebrities, seeking to turn long-standing conventions and themes on their heads.
In a genre where new films are relatively rare, several major westerns are on the horizon, but they appear to be far from the traditional fare of melancholy visions of the dying frontier or heroic tales of rough-edged cowboys, lantern-jawed sheriffs and outlaws on the run.
First up is iconoclastic director Quentin Tarantino, who last week released the first trailer for his latest film, Django Unchained. The movie, which features Jamie Foxx is full of familiar western signatures – a revenge-driven plot, »
- Paul Harris
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- Angelina Jolie Husband Brad Pitt Films New Commercial - Ready for Sexy Scenes with New Wife (From National Ledger. 1 September 2014, 11:09 AM, PDT)
- Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro for Martin Scorsese short (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 September 2014, 7:06 AM, PDT)
- 3 of the Greatest Book to Movie Adaptations (From Flickeringmyth. 1 September 2014, 6:27 AM, PDT)
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 Happening, Using Money David Fincher Didn't Want (From Cinema Blend. 1 September 2014, 7:57 AM, PDT)
- Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Australian government offers Disney funding (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 September 2014, 1:54 AM, PDT)
- Kevin Smith shows huge weight loss with Yoga Hosers image (From Flickeringmyth. 30 August 2014, 5:18 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Every Gunshot from Quentin Tarantino's Movies (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 September 2014, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Remains First at Box Office, New Releases Underperform (From Worst Previews. 31 August 2014, 7:59 PM, PDT)
- Jump Scares: Option Or Obsession? (From Icons of Fright. 30 August 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)