Model-turned-actress Lily Cole is urging Hollywood stars to go green by recycling their red carpet outfits.
The British beauty is the latest famous face to take part in Colin Firth's wife Livia's Green Carpet Challenge by wearing an 'old' gown to the Cannes premiere of her latest movie, Snow White and the Huntsman, last month.
Cole admits it was a "relief" not to have to scour the rails for a new dress, and she's encouraging more A-listers to adopt an ethical approach to fashion by wearing their designer clothes more than once.
She tells Vogue.co.uk, "I felt it was absurd that I needed something new when I have so many nice dresses in my wardrobe. It was actually quite a relief to open my wardrobe and just pick something out. What is ridiculous is that this is interpreted as a slightly radical thought. It should be more the norm....
"You run the risk of perpetuating this myth that you can only wear things once, and everything has to be new and that nobody else can have worn them - because heaven forbid you might be photographed in the same dress as somebody else or yourself. I find the psychology of this so ridiculous... I do really believe that if you buy something, you should like it enough that you're going to be able to wear it out and in five years' time. I'm not a huge fan of trends."
Similar News ItemsColin Firth
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt in talks to join 'Into the Woods'; Plus, Bruce Willis, more (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 17 May 2013, 5:18 PM, PDT)
- Chopard Winners Suarez, Irvine Sparkle at Cannes (From Variety - Film News. 17 May 2013, 2:26 PM, PDT)
- Thesps Suarez, Irvine Sparkle as Trophee Chopard Winners (From Variety - Film News. 17 May 2013, 11:03 AM, PDT)
Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- Production Begins on Love, Rosie Starring Lily Collins and Sam Claflin (From Collider.com. 16 May 2013, 2:05 PM, PDT)
- Lily Collins and Sam Claflin Rehearse on the Set of Love, Rosie (From Comingsoon.net. 16 May 2013)
- Kristen Stewart & Robert Pattinson: You Need To Make Up After Fighting (From HollywoodLife. 15 May 2013, 3:03 PM, PDT)
- The Great Gatsby, Beware Of Mr Baker, Fast And Furious 6: this week's new films (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 May 2013, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- The 5 Worst Dressed at the 2013 Met Gala Completely Failed at Life (From TooFab. 7 May 2013, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Lily Cole Reveals Why She Went Punk at 10 And What's In Her Met Gala Bag (From Popsugar. 7 May 2013, 3:45 AM, PDT)