Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Big Sean Has Big Love for Star Wars, Comic Books and Stan Lee (From TMZ. 23 July 2017, 7:15 AM, PDT)
- What Sets Christopher Nolan Apart From Other Blockbuster Directors (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Bob's Burgers Stars Reenact Infamous Lady Gaga Run-In — Nsfw Video (From TVLine.com. 22 July 2017, 7:43 PM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi New Promotional Image Shows Off New Character (From LRM Online. 22 July 2017, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi books revealed at Comic-Con (From Flickeringmyth. 22 July 2017, 4:41 AM, PDT)
- Who Voiced The Joker Before Mark Hamill Won The Role (From Cinema Blend. 21 July 2017, 2:13 PM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Why Josh Hartnett Turned Down Batman Begins (From Cinema Blend. 22 June 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Josh Hartnett Reflects On His Decision To Turn Down Batman Begins (From We Got This Covered. 21 June 2017, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- Why Josh Hartnett Passed on Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy (From Screen Rant. 20 June 2017, 9:32 PM, PDT)