Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Gwendoline Christie Compares ‘Hope’ in Star Wars & Game of Thrones (From Screen Rant. 21 July 2017, 8:22 PM, PDT)
- Hasbro’s Star Wars Black Series Adds General Leia & Maz Kanata (From Screen Rant. 21 July 2017, 3:41 PM, PDT)
- ‘Descendants 2’: How This Long-Running Female Writing Team Came Up With One of Disney’s Most Important Franchises (From Indiewire Television. 21 July 2017, 3:37 PM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- Who Voiced The Joker Before Mark Hamill Won The Role (From Cinema Blend. 21 July 2017, 2:13 PM, PDT)
- The Raid, Filmmaker John Carpenter, Last Jedi Bts, And More -- The Lrm Weekend (From LRM Online. 21 July 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- I Want That: Kid-sized Star Wars Landspeeder (From JoBlo. 21 July 2017, 8:49 AM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Why Josh Hartnett Turned Down Batman Begins (From Cinema Blend. 22 June 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Josh Hartnett Reflects On His Decision To Turn Down Batman Begins (From We Got This Covered. 21 June 2017, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- Why Josh Hartnett Passed on Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy (From Screen Rant. 20 June 2017, 9:32 PM, PDT)